Beitrag Mi 12. Feb 2020, 10:35

Too often the last-place Reds hurt themselves

SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Chargers suffered yet another debilitating injury to an impact player on Sunday, with defensive tackle Brandon Mebane suffering a torn biceps injury that will end his season.The Chargers signed Mebane to a three-year, $13.5 million deal during the offseason after he spent his first nine seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. The 31-year-old Mebane was voted a defensive co-captain in his first year with the Chargers.The run-stuffing nose tackle served as an important addition for San Diego, improving the defenses ability to stop the run. Mebane registered 21 combined tackles, a sack and an interception and played 327 snaps through 10 games.The Chargers are holding teams to 87.4 rushing yards per game, No. 6 in the league. Last season, the Chargers allowed nearly 5 yards a carry, second worst in the NFL. This year, San Diego has allowed 3.9 yards per rush, tied for No. 9.With Mebane out, the Chargers likely will turn to backup?Damion Square to fill the void, and could look to promote Ryan Carrethers from the practice squad to the active roster.Mebane joins a long list of impact players San Diego has lost for the season, including Stevie Johnson, Keenan Allen, Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver, Manti Teo and Jason Verrett.According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Chargers have placed 20 players on injured reserve this season. Only the Seahawks have placed more (21). Marcedes Lewis Super Bowl Jersey . -- Jaye Marie Green shot a 4-under 68 on Thursday to increase her lead to five strokes after the second round of the LPGA Tours qualifying tournament. Jimmy Graham Super Bowl Jersey . The 17-year-old native of Marystown, N.L., pulled out of Skate Canada International last month in Saint John, N.B., with the same problem. http://www.officialgreenbaypackerspro.com/Davante-adams-packers-jersey/ .C. -- When North Carolina freshman Ryan Switzer reported to training camp in August he was a little miffed to learn he was third on the depth chart at punt returner. Jace Sternberger Super Bowl Jersey . Once again Jordan Cieciwa (@FitCityJordan) and I (@LynchOnSports) go head to head in our picks. Last weekend at UFC Fight Night 32 my #TeamLynch got the best of #TeamJC by a score of 9-6. Let us know which side youre on for UFC 167 use the hashtag #TeamLynch or #TeamJC on Twitter. Jamaal Williams Super Bowl Jersey . Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek defeated Nenad Zimonjic and Ilija Bozoljac 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 (4) on the indoor hard-court at Belgrade Arena. The victory improved the Czech pairs impressive cup doubles record to 14-1. MIAMI -- Cincinnati Reds left-hander John Lamb seemed to throw as softly as he could when he struck out Chris Johnson in the fourth inning on three pitches, each a 67-mph curve.Their guy had us baffled for a few innings, Miami Marlins manager Don Mattingly said. He seemed to have us on a string.Lamb totaled a career-high nine strikeouts in five innings Saturday, and in keeping with this miserable season for Cincinnati, that wasnt enough. The Reds made a series of costly mistakes and lost 4-2 Saturday.We needed a couple of things to go right that potentially could have brought that game to a different outcome, manager Bryan Price said.Miamis Martin Prado went 3 for 3 and capped a rally in the fifth inning with a two-out, two-run double that right fielder Jay Bruce misjudged. J.T. Realmuto added two hits and scored three times.All-Star Adam Duvall hit his 23rd home run for the Reds, and Brandon Phillips had two hits and an RBI with a broken left hand. Phillips played less than 24 hours after suffering a hairline fracture when he was hit by a pitch from Jose Fernandez.Too often the last-place Reds hurt themselves, and the Marlins capitalized.You take wins any way you can get them, Mattingly said. Weve had some losses in these kind of games.Defensive lapses contributed to all three runs against Lamb (1-6), with one unearned. Worst was the misplay by Bruce hours after he was added to the NL All-Star team.Obviously it looked terrible, and it was embarrassing, Bruce said. I felt like I had plenty of time. I looked back up and it wasnt where I thought it was going to be.Prado wasnt optimistic when the ball left his bat, and Mattingly also underestimated the opposite-field fly. It fell behind a retreating Bruce.It was weird -- the balll kept carrying for some reason, Prado said.ddddddddddddIt had a weird spin.Conservative baserunning likely cost Cincinnati a run in the fifth. Catcher Ramon Cabrera led off with an apparent triple to right field, but third base coach Billy Hatcher stopped him at second.There were some opportunities for us to cash in on a few things offensively, Price said.Miami center fielder Marcell Ozuna threw out Phillips trying to advance from first to third on a single in the seventh. Phillips was initially ruled safe, but the call was reversed in a replay review, and the Reds failed to score despite three hits in the inning.Just an incredible throw, Mattingly said. Thank God for replay, right?Cincinnati also dropped the ball on a rundown but still came managed the putout, however unsightly. It was scored 1-3-6-3-1-4.Adam Conley (6-5) singled to start a rally, raising his average to .065. The left-hander also limited Cincinnati to two runs in 5 2/3 innings.Four relievers combined for 3 1/3 shutout innings. A.J. Ramos pitched around a walk in the ninth for his 27th save and was helped by shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, who made a leaping catch of a liner by Phillips.Miami has won the first two games of the series while outscoring Cincinnati 7-3.The Marlins scored an unearned run in the first inning when Lamb threw a curve that crossed up and eluded Cabrera, allowing Realmuto to score from third on a passed ball.My fault, Lamb said. Coming into the game we knew our signs and I happened to have a brain cramp.UP NEXTMarlins RHP Tom Koehler (6-7, 4.40) is scheduled to start Sunday against LHP Cody Reed (0-3, 9.00). ' ' '