Beitrag Sa 23. Nov 2019, 07:21

Its worse at the Olympics

Each week, The Reporters put their thumbs out to the good and the bad in the world of sports. Brendan McKay Rays Jersey . This week they discuss the Winter Classic, the value of the BCS, a possible rule change by FIFA and hockey tournament formats. Bruce Arthur, National Post: My thumb is up to the most recent Winter Classic between Toronto and Detroit at Michigan Stadium, despite everything. In the first period there was so much snow that even completing a pass was an accomplishment. The horn blew midway through the third - and midway through overtime, with Henrik Zetterberg breaking in - to switch ends, because of the wind. It was goofy, but with over 105,000 fans, a record, this game was an irresistible spectacle. And really, it was just hockey. Teams simplify their games all the time. The shootout is a gimmick, indoors or outdoors. And somehow, the Winter Classic makes all its imperfections seem small. Eventually the NHL will exhaust this gold mine. But on New Years Day, we got treated to something rare: beautiful ugly hockey. Dave Naylor, TSN: My thumb is up to the Bowl Championship Series - better known as the BCS - which plays out its existence tomorrow night in the National Championship game between Auburn and Florida State. In its 16-year run, the BCS brought up plenty of controversy and debate, but it also brought us a game each year featuring No. 1 versus No. 2. While some may have said it made other bowl games irrelevant, consider this weeks Orange Bowl between Ohio State and Clemson or Sugar Bowl between Alabama and Oklahoma as evidence that the BCS season was never just about one game. Next year the BCS will be replaced with the four-team playoff. But lets remember the BCS fondly as part of the evolution of college football. Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated: My thumb is up to Sepp Blatter, normally the occupationally challenged president of FIFA who, shockingly, has come up with a good idea. Borrowing from hockey, Blatter has proposed a virtual penalty box for those who feign injuries. For decades, a visit to the soccer touchline for an apparently mortally injured player has been like a pilgrimage to Lourdes; the healing powers there are miraculous. Now, rather than sprinting back onto the field, that player would have to stay off for an unspecified spell, obliging his team to play a man down. Given the scourge of soccer fakery, Blatter is right. The time has come to institute a time penalty. Dave Hodge, TSN: My thumb would be up to hockeys tournament format, such as we see at the World Juniors and as were about to see again at the Olympics, if only it could be designed differently. To make the quarter-final round at Malmo, Canada needed to win just one game, against Germany. It was considered important to win the group, as Canada did, but it wasnt essential. The games would have been much more compelling if only four of 10 teams qualified for the so-called playoffs, instead of eight. Its worse at the Olympics. Twelve teams take part in round-robin play and all twelve move on to play outside their groups, some with winless records. So next month, wake me when there are games that will eliminate the losing teams, and when the names of those teams arent so obvious. Tampa Bay Rays Pro Shop . Tensions rose in the first period when Penguins defenceman Brooks Orpik hit Bruins forward Loui Eriksson with what appeared to be a clean hit. Johnny Davis Jersey .com) - Bradley Beal deposited a season-high 33 points and John Wall posted another double-double as the Washington Wizards went on the road and beat the Houston Rockets, 104-103. https://www.cheapraysonline.com/1256i-kevin-kiermaier-jersey-rays.html . The St. Louis Cardinals were scheduled to arrive in Boston in time for a workout on Tuesday afternoon. Much of Mondays discussion focused on Bostons lineup considerations as the series progresses, specifically when the venue shifts to St.BARCELONA, Spain -- Barcelona has unveiled plans for its 420-million-euro ($565 million) Camp Nou redesign, which will increase the stadiums capacity to 105,053 and transform the infrastructure around it. The Spanish champions games will be unaffected when work begins in 2017, lasting until 2021. The stadiums exterior will be completely transformed with a partial roof placed above as over 60,000 square mmeters of space are created inside. Emilio Pagan Jersey. Club members will have to approve the project in a referendum to be held in April. Club official Javier Faus humbly called it "the most important sport project in Europe and the whole world." The plan comes days after rival Real Madrid announced a 400-million-euro ($540 million) remodeling plan for its Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. ' ' '