Beitrag Di 14. Jan 2020, 11:01

the same day Teddy Sheringham spoke

NEWARK, N. Pelicans Jerseys China .J. -- Phoenix captain Shane Doan started laughing when asked if the Coyotes suddenly had a goalie controversy. "Goalie controversies are always good because that means they are both playing well," Doan said after the Coyotes defeated the New Jersey Devils 3-2 in a shootout Thursday night to improve their playoff chances in the Western Conference. The Coyotes, who currently hold the second wild-card spot, got five of six possible points on their three-game road trip and opened a five-point lead over idle Dallas. What made this trip so special was that No. 1 goalie Mike Smith went down with a lower-body injury late in the third period of the opener against the Rangers, but replacement Thomas Greiss posted wins over Pittsburgh and New Jersey. Phoenixs only loss on the road trip was in overtime to the Rangers. "We have a ton of confidence in Greisser," Doan said. "Everybody in here has been shooting on him all year and when he has gone in, he has been amazing. I dont know what his save percentage is, but its .925 or .930. He has been amazing for us." Greiss made 26 saves and stopped shootout attempts by Damien Brunner, Ryane Clowe and Patrik Elias in matching his career high with his ninth win (9-5-2) of the season. The trip did not start out well for Greiss. He gave up the tying goal late and the winner in overtime to the Rangers. But that didnt bother the 28-year-old German, who was backed up by Smith on Thursday. "Thats the goalies job, to have a short memory," Greiss said. "You just have to forget that stuff and move on." Mikkel Boedker scored on Phoenixs first shootout try against Martin Brodeur with a top-shelf backhander. "I went with a move I was comfortable with and its always good when the goaltender bites on your fake," Boedker said. Kyle Chipchura and Chris Summers scored for the Coyotes, who blew a 2-0 lead. Clowe and Adam Henrique scored for the Devils, who fell to 0-9 in shootouts this season and extended their NHL-record streak to 13 straight losses dating to last season. While the Devils picked up a point, they are currently out of the playoff picture with nine games to go. "Its a big part of the reason the playoffs are getting tougher and tougher to reach," said Brodeur, who finished with 25 saves. "So many points weve left on the table through the year. I figured we were due. Its been a while, we havent been in one. I was feeling good about it mentally. I thought we were going to pull through this one and boost our confidence a little bit knowing were able to do it, and again it was the same old thing." New Jersey appeared to be in trouble when Summers scored with 3:03 left in the second period to give the Coyotes a 2-0 lead. The Devils got back in the game with a little luck after Phoenix was called for a delay penalty in the final minute of the period. Brodeur scrambled to the bench and Clowe scored with less than a second left as he lay in the crease. The big left wing was cross-checked by Jeff Halpern, and defenceman Jon Merrills pass through the crease caromed off his chest and slid past Greiss, who had stopped the Devils first 16 shots with their sticks. Henrique tied the game midway through the third period, taking a pass from Elias and beating defenceman Michael Stone with a move behind the net for his team-leading 24th goal. Chipchura, who had a goal and an assist against the Rangers on Monday night in Madison Square Garden, scored his fourth of the season 2:21 into the first period. Lauri Korpikoski sent a pass from behind the net to Chipchura, who put a shot under Brodeurs pad. Summers, called up from the minors this month, made it 2-0 with a slap shot that beat a screened Brodeur. NOTES: Brodeur picked up his third assist of the season and the 45th of his career on Henriques goal. ... Korpikoski missed the previous two games with an upper-body injury. ... Devils captain Bryce Salvador was out with a lower-body injury. ... The Coyotes beat the Devils 3-2 in Phoenix in January. ... Coyotes D Connor Murphy, recalled from Portland (AHL) on Wednesday, was in the lineup. ... Merrill has a goal and two assists in his last two games. The rookie had a goal and six assists in his first 44 this season. ... Coyotes RW David Moss left in the second period with a lower-body injury. New Orleans Pelicans Gear . "No difference at all," chirped U.S. roommate and linemate James van Riemsdyk. "Its still the same cranky Phil. New Orleans Pelicans Pro Shop .ca has you covered for whos in, whos out and what to expect from all 30 teams. https://www.cheappelicans.com/135u-al-farouq-aminu-jersey-pelicans.html . -- Wes Welker is unlikely to suit up for Denvers game Thursday against San Diego after leaving Sundays win over Tennessee with his second concussion in four games.Englands rugby Grand Slam-winning coach Eddie Jones has given Crystal Palace a motivational talk as they build up to an FA Cup final season finale. Before facing Manchester United in the cup final at Wembley on May 21, Alan Pardews squad have three Premier League matches to get through.Although now unlikely, the Eagles still face the mathematical possibility of relegation and ahead of Saturdays trip to his former club Newcastle, Pardew invited Jones to give his current charges a pep talk on Thursday. If they cant take on board his comments, then were in trouble. Alan Pardew Were still not mathematically safe in the Premier League, so we still have work to do, which is why I asked Eddie Jones to come in, and he had a few words with the team about complacency and about what teams do, said Pardew.Jones was appointed England rugby head coach following the sides dismal early exit from the World Cup and inspired them a few months later to win the Six Nations tournament, clinching their first Grand Slam since 2003 in the process. Pardew, whose side beat Watford 2-1 in Sundays FA Cup semi-final, added: Hes been involved in World Cups with other nations, is a multi-cultural personality, someone who is engaging. If they cant take on board his comments then were in trouble.We share a couple of professional friends. Jeremy Snape [Palace sports psychologist] is one of those, and Eddie asked me about the England rugby team.Weve been quite close since hes been here, and a lot of the views he has on trying to get more from individual players and the group run parallel with my own. Trying to get the best out of his ideas is nice for me. It was nice to have him here: good timing, what with the result we had [defeating Watford]. Jones is happy to offer pointers to Palace The Palace boss revealed Jones visit stemmed from a belief his players would benefit from hearing a new voice, with the talk coming on the same day Teddy Sheringham spoke to the clubs academy coaches and Pardew believes the use of those speakers helps to stimulate his squad.Ive always encouraged other coaches and managers to be involved, with comments from them, Pardew said. The most important point [Jones made] was that great teams can get to finals, but great teams only win finals if theyre great all the time. Chris Paul Jersey. . We have to be great this Saturday. That was the main key point I took from him.We cant turn up at Newcastle and let our standards down from Sunday otherwise were doing a disservice to our fans and ourselves. Hes given a lot of examples of how communication between the team and the coaches is important. The players just absorbed it. Its nice to hear it from somebody from a different genre, a different field, carrying the weight he does. Its a position that only great coaches and managers have. Bakary Sako (l), Jason Puncheon and Mile Jedinak (r) of Crystal Palace celebrate victory over Watford I worked it out that [France international] Yohan Cabaye will get a two-week holiday this year. Thats a long time to stimulate a footballer. Same with [my] Wales [internationals at Euro 2016]. Youve got to stimulate players and staff to try and improve yourself.Victory for Palace at St James Park would edge Newcastle even closer to relegation, just 17 months after Pardew left to join Palace at a time when Newcastle appeared reasonably strong. For all that he was an unpopular figure in the north-east, the manager insists he is desperate to see Newcastle survive, and believes they are an improving team again under Rafael Benitez. Alan Pardew wants his players to be up for the Newcastle game Theyre a much stronger team, said Pardew, who will monitor Wilfried Zaha before selecting his starting XI because of a leg injury the winger is carrying.Rafa is a very experienced manager who has managed at the top of the game, and hes got them in a much better place to win this game, and that worries me because my job is to win this game.The club is a beast when its going well, but it can be equally as destructive when things arent going well. At the moment, things are going well, so its a big bear well have to fight. Also See: Pardew: I hope Newcastle survive Wickham: I need to be better Palace fixtures Get a £10 free bet! ' ' '