Beitrag Mo 2. Aug 2021, 09:31

Milestone medals in pool, surprising winner in 100M dash

Milestone medals in pool, surprising winner in 100M dash

Caeleb Dressel and Emma McKeon earned milestone medals at the Olympic pool before Italian runner Marcell Jacobs was the surprising winner of the race to determine the fastest man in the world

TOKYO -- Caeleb Dressel and Emma McKeon earned milestone medals at the Olympic pool before Italian runner Marcell Jacobs was the surprising winner of the race to determine the fastest man in the world.

Jacobs crossed the line in 9.80 seconds on Sunday to bring the sprint gold to Italy for the first time. Jacobs topped Fred Kerley of the United States and Andre DeGrasse of Canada to take the spot held for the past 13 years by the now-retired Usain Bolt

American sprinter Trayvon Bromell came into the Games as the favorite but didn’t make it to the final after finishing third in his semifinal heat.

Dressel won two more gold medals to give him five in the Tokyo Olympics, winning the 50-meter freestyle and putting the Americans ahead to stay in the 4x100 medley relay on their way to a world record. ทางเข้า PGSLOT

“I’m proud of myself. I feel like I reached what my potential was here at these Games,” Dressel said. “It was just really fun racing.”

Dressel join Americans Michael Phelps, Mark Spitz and Matt Biondi, as well as East Germany’s Kristin Otto, as the only swimmers to win as many as five golds at a single Olympics. Phelps did it three times.

McKeon became the first female swimmer and second woman in any sport to claim seven medals at one Olympics. Four of them were gold, the other three bronze.

McKeon won the 50 free and took the butterfly leg on Australia's winning effort in the women’s 4x100 medley relay.

The only other woman to win seven — in any sport — was Soviet gymnast Maria Gorokhovskaya, who claimed two golds and five silvers at the 1952 Helsinki Games.

“It still feels very surreal,” said McKeon, a 27-year-old from Brisbane. “It’s going to take a little bit to sink in. I’m very proud of myself.”