Beitrag Di 23. Apr 2019, 02:49

When Kevin Martin decided to retire this year, he thought he

When Kevin Martin decided to retire this year, he thought hed have plenty of company. The dean of Canadian curlers -- with four national titles, a world championship, both a gold and silver at the Olympics and a record 18 Grand Slams on the World Curling Tour -- looked around and saw plenty his age or older holding brooms. "I thought this year there would be a lot of guys retiring," Martin, 47, said Tuesday. "I thought I would just be one of the many. As it turns out, Im the only one. Theres nobody else, Im the only guy!" Instead of retiring, other senior skips have played a game of musical chairs as teams have reformed and players have moved about the country. And Martin says the desire to secure that all-important Olympic berth is the reason. "The shuffling I think is completely because of the Olympics and that curling has become a four-year sport," he said. Younger teams are looking at skips at or near 50-plus and wondering whether they have what it takes to compete, not just next season but also down the road. And those skips who have never won that Olympic berth (as Martin did three times, failing to earn a medal in 1992) are reluctant to give up while they think theres still a chance. Manitobas Jeff Stoughton, 50, who has parted ways with his former team and formed a new one and Ontarios Glenn Howard, 51, who has seen his squad fragment as well, are cases in point. "Its hard I think for young guys to be with a 50, 51, 52 or whatever age guy and think four years down the road," Martin said. "Thats not easy. "Jeff and Glenn still play brilliantly but will they in four years? I dont think they can answer that." The result has been a lot of movement. "Its really exciting. Its probably the most excitement Ive seen in our sport in a long time," said Martin. "I think the young guys that are coming up are dealing with it really well by doing all of these shakeups and trying to figure out how they can get the very, very best team." The latest move was Kevin Koes former Alberta team, which is the reigning national champion, picking up former B.C. skip John Morris on Tuesday to take them into key events next season, including a return trip to the Tim Hortons Brier. Its the first time the current mens champion will get an automatic ticket without having to win a provincial title. Two younger teams at the elite level remain intact: Olympic gold-medallist Brad Jacobs, 28, and his team from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., and Mike McEwen, 33, from Winnipeg. Former Olympic champ Brad Gushue, 33, from Newfoundland and Labrador has made only one move, returning former teammate Mark Nichols, who had been curling with Stoughton. After finishing out of the medals at the world championships, Koe, 39, announced a new team that includes Marc Kennedy at third, Ben Hebert at lead and Brent Laing at second. Kennedy and Hebert won Olympic gold with Martin and Laing was a two-time world champion with Howard. "Those are your top four I think going forward," said Martin of those four teams. After watching all the moves, though, does Martin have any second thoughts about his decision to quit the game? "I am so ready. To be honest with you, I think I was ready after Vancouver," he insists. But Martin recognizes that had he pulled the plug then, at the age of 43, he might have come out of retirement. Theres no chance of that now. "Im in a real good spot, Im busy outside the ice," he said. "Theres tons of stuff going on." First, hes got a new job as a broadcaster and curling ambassador with Rogers Sportsnet. Then theres his curling store in Edmonton, part interest in a golf-course development in Phoenix and his curling academies to run. For Martin, the icing on the cake this year was going out a winner after being disappointed at the Olympic curling trials. He beat Jacobs 4-3 in the mens final Sunday to win the Players Championship in the final tournament of his career, his 18th Grand Slam win on the professional tour he played a role in developing. "To have the 18th Slam work out . . . it makes it all that much easier," he said. As for the only thing he regrets in a lifetime of curling, it was that failure to medal in 1992, when curling was still an Olympic demonstration sport. He knew he wasnt good enough to win gold that year. "But then we played the U.S. in the bronze game and thats a game I think we should have won," Martin said. For one thing, it would have given him one of each medal. "The one game . . . over all the years that Id like to have back is that bronze game in 1992," he added. Rudy Gobert Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla. Jonas Jerebko Jersey . He learned about pressure and expectations at the 2010 Games in his hometown of Vancouver. His next mission is to build on that experience at his next Olympic appearance in Sochi, where he plans to ride the momentum from the teams strong start to the season. http://www.cheapjazzjerseys.info/Authen ... zz-Jersey/. The Cavaliers first-year forward will miss at least three weeks with a strained left knee, the latest setback for the No. Trey Lyles Jersey .com) - Nathan MacKinnon scored the winning goal in the shootout as the Colorado Avalanche rallied for a 3-2 win over the Boston Bruins on Wednesday. Alec Burks Jersey . Ontario Superior Court Case Management Master Ronald Dash released the decision on Monday, saying John McCaw Jr. must testify in front of a jury by live video conference. Moores lawyer, Tim Danson, asked the court to compel McCaw - who is based in Seattle - to testify in the case back on February 27.ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Marcell Dareus and the Buffalo Bills defence made life miserable for Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco. Dareus had two sacks, rookie linebacker Kiko Alonso and converted safety Aaron Williams had two interceptions as part of a 23-20 win over the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. Dareus was pleased with the new-look defence that finally began playing up to its attacking style under new co-ordinator Mike Pettine. "It surprises people, but we controlled it the way we needed to," Dareus said. "We were not going to let them push us around." The Bills pushed back in limiting Baltimore to 15 first downs and 345 yards. It was a stifling performance that came a week after Buffalo gave up 513 yards in a 27-20 loss to the New York Jets. And the Bills (2-2) won despite an injury-thinned defensive backfield that opened the game missing three starters, and closed it minus Williams, who couldnt finish because of a sore back. "These guys have answered the bell, and they played their behinds off," defensive tackle Kyle Williams said. "It doesnt get any better than this." Alonso sealed the victory by making a diving catch to pick off Flacco for a fifth time with 57 seconds remaining. Facing third-and-8 at the Bills 48, Flacco forced a pass over the middle intended for tight end Dallas Clark. Clark and safety DaNorris Searcy both got their hands on the ball, and Alonso came up with the interception. Fred Jackson had 87 yards rushing, and scored on a 16-yard run for the Bills, who are off to a 2-2 start under rookie head coach Doug Marrone. C.J. Spiller added 77 yards rushing in helping Buffalo combine for 203 yards on the ground against a defence that had allowed just 224 in its first three games. The Ravens (2-2) took a big step back after an impressive 30-9 win over Houston last week. "A lot of that falls on me today and just throwing the ball to the wrong team," said Flacco. "If we dont do that, then this game probably looks a little different." What it resembled instead, was another lacklustre performance by a retooled offence still searching for an identity after several off-season changes to its group of receivers. Thhe Ravens are still a work in progress after trading Anquan Boldin to San Francisco, and with Jacoby Jones (hip) and tight end Dennis Pitta (hip) injured.dddddddddddd Torrey Smith had five catches for 166 yards and a touchdown, but Flacco had difficulty finding any chemistry with his other receivers. And the Ravens running attack struggled, even with Ray Rice returning after missing last weeks game with a hip injury. Rice finished with 17 yards rushing and backup Bernard Pierce managed just 7 against a Bills defence that gave up 182 to the Jets last week. "We wouldve liked to run the ball better. We wouldve liked to execute a lot better," Rice said. "You get behind, you cant pound the rock. You just cant do it." Trouble was, the Ravens couldnt get their offence on track even when the game was close in the first half. Baltimore managed just three first downs and 45 yards offence on its first seven possessions. Flacco finished 25 of 50 for 347 yards and two touchdowns, including a 10-yarder to Marlon Brown. But he has five touchdowns and seven interceptions this season. The five interceptions were the most by the Bills defence since it had six in a 16-13 overtime win over the New York Jets on Oct. 18, 2009. "It feels great to win," said safety Jim Leonhard, who also had an interception. "Obviously, weve had our share of adversity, and I think weve proven through four weeks that we a room full of guys on the back end that will fight." The Bills face a short turnaround. They travel to play at Cleveland on Thursday. NOTES: Alonso, a second-round pick out of Oregon, has four interceptions on the season. And he became the teams first rookie linebacker to have an interception in three consecutive games. ... Marrone said he expects CB Aaron Williams to be healthy to play this week. ... Jackson (knee) and Spiller (left ankle) both returned after missing parts of the third quarter. ... Ravens WR Deonte Thompson sustained a concussion after being hit along the sideline by safety Jim Leonhard. ... Ravens coach John Harbaugh said both Brown and starting CB Lardarius Webb hurt their thighs and are still having their injuries evaluated. ' ' '